Saturday, March 15, 2008

What Seo Copywriting feels like, at least for now

Doing what I do for a living, I've seen some definite flows and ebbs in market perception.

Search is still pretty young as a business concept to many people, and I find I explain what I do for a living a lot. I don't mind. SEO writing is a little strange. I understand why it may seem weird to someone who doesn't stare at a screen all day, someone not obsessed with the Interweb like me.

But clearly, organic search is pretty well acknowledged for what it is worth. An ability to demonstrate consistent ROI speaks for itself. Same goes for paid search and ad programs and the like---used correctly for the right type of marketing, and SEM can be very successful. I believe most businesses benefit from both organic and paid search, and most can see the benefit if they don't in some way already harness it.

But still, I find myself attending my son's school functions, explaining again to another blank stare, "It's called SEO...search-engine-optimization. S-E-O. I am an SEO writer. " From the looks I receive, I think they believe my line of work has something to do with monkeys.

Oh, the crazy life on the Interweb.

But I am not complaining. Search, may be a little weird as a profession, but I am comfortable here. I like being cyber-geeky. I can't think of anything I'd like to do more than being a search nerd. So to me, being an SEO writer at this point is a pretty cool thing to be. I don't know a ton about what the professional climate is like out there for other folks, but when I do get out of the cave and get to talking to other SEOs, it seems we are all doing pretty well as a group.

I lucked out, in that I was in a few good places at the right time, and really got into some cool stuff where search is concerned. I continue to do SEO copywriting every day, cranking out amazing numbers of pages (if I do say so myself). Why? Because I like writing, and I have found solid writing is at the core of many SEO strategies. I would say all of them, but I am sure someone would call me out on it and I am not going to haggle semantics. But who are we kidding? Good writing is at the core of everything.

As a writer who gets paid, I have to be careful all the time with what I say and how I say it. I don't have to be that careful here--I want a little sloppy fun. I will only edit everything 2-4 times.

So I am going to start next week with some SEO tips, copywriting style.
I am still trying to warm up to blogging. You kids, and all your newfangled Interweb thingies...

No comments: