Sunday, March 16, 2008

How Do You Get Started in SEO Copywriting?

In the past year or two, I have been speaking more to college students about how to do SEO copywriting. Hopefully, this will address one of the most common questions I get.

I know I make what I do sound pretty sexy sometimes. Many turned-on students ask me, "How do I get started In SEO Writing like you?" I sometimes have to beat them down with a stick.

The best answer to writing for SEO, is to simply write better. SEO stuff comes after learning more about good writing, not prior. In time, you will be able to use SEO goggles to see the world but don't rush it. Let SEO be an acquired skill, augmenting your desire to become a writer.

Become more adept at speaking to specific audiences. Learn all you can about completing a thought. Get better at making an argument. Defending a position. Making a sale. You'd be amazed at how some simple mechanics and a little spark can keep you really busy.

Search is based on being viewed as an expert in your field. The search engines are trying to provide relevant results using really sophistacted, ever-changing formulas. They are far from perfect, and they change a lot.

My best suggestion is, don't ever focus on writing what the search engines want because it is a moving target. If you are learning tricks, they probably have a very limited shelf life. Don't write for a formula, write for a web user. If you do it well, there is plenty of work.

Focus on good writing, and good solid content. Take pains to avoid bad writing, and you are well on your way to good SEO writing. Isn't that simple?

Nothing else will work for you for very long. Don't bother with it. SEO Writing is only the right move if you want to write, a lot. SEO is a speciality, it is a subset of being a writer.

That all said, there are ways to get started in SEO writing simply because people are so starved for original content. It is a great place to get some writing experience. How you get started and how much you can actually make at this will depend on a lot of different factors.

I figure that will be good fodder for some new posts.
We'll look at Who You Are, Who You Know, How You Look, and see where that gets us.

I think I am going to like this...

No comments: