Monday, October 19, 2009

How Did I Get Started as a Freelance Seo Writer?

Perhaps the most common question I am asked, especially by college students, is how I got started as a freelance seo writer. This was again the situation in my last couple visits to local Atlanta colleges like Emory and Kennesaw State.

Let me answer that by giving you a short scenario. The writer will be played by me, the cold faced marketing director will be played by a Vietnamese dwarf named Miss Gengy, who has a peg leg, false teeth and a horrible disposition.

Scene: fade-in to an eager young writer, briefcase (new) stuffed to the brim with fake collateral from pretend gigs. See sweat on brow, and fidget in chair as another marketing director sees through the BS, and is perturbed at spending time in this meeting.

Writer: {clearing throat to speak} ...um...

Cold Faced Marketing Director: (Rising to leave) I think we're done here.

Writer clumsily gathers crap pile and stumbles blindly from office, a sadness in his heart but a stern look of determination on his face. Zero in his pocket. Rocky theme begins, and writer opens door, stepping into a world of uncertainty, more stupid than brave, more willing than not...

I make jokes, I laugh and kid, but I seriously went into meetings I was totally unqualified to be in, waving my arms like a monkey to try to get noticed. I was aggressive, and I was unstoppable. That is how I started as a freelance SEO writer - by my unwillingness to be anything else.

Sometimes, it can be that simple.
It was for me.

1 comment:

Seo Writer said...

lol, sometimes you just have to get to work. That was my approach and I see you found that unwillingness that I also found. I wanted it bad enough to get to it and work hard at it.

Totally understand where you are coming from,

Tony Tovar