Sunday, October 25, 2009

Balancing Writing and Webwork

In the last week, I have been shifting from a mostly writing perspective to a mostly building one. It is the desires of my clients - I am simply going where there is a need.

This brought to mind a question from one of the Emory students a couple weeks ago, when I was up there mingling with them at a mixer. She asked, "Do you think you have stayed busy because you have more than writing to offer clients?"

I had answered yes, because I do think it is my ability to do more than just write that creates this little niche of mine. I could, probably, focus more concretely on writing and turn the tide, but I don't know that I ever would.

One of the reasons I like doing more than writing, is that I like doing more than writing. I know people who don't, and they focus much more solidly on writing gigs. To me, there is a lot you can do if you know what to do with the writing and the end result, because it helps you close the gap. Instead of me handing my content to someone else to develop, I finish it off. In many cases for me, it allows me to offer way more to the client for less.

So while this week is more building than writing, I do know that is only this week so far. For the last 3 months, I have not built as much as I wrote. Yin/Yang. Balance.

No comments: