Saturday, August 23, 2008

My Non-Optimized Blog

I assume most people seeing this blog realize pretty quickly that it is not optimized at all. I am doing this on purpose--everything I do outside of this blog usually means intensive SEO, so I am not interested in it for this blog.

What?
I know, an SEO writer avoiding SEO on his own stuff makes no sense. But there are many reasons to do something, and in this site, optimizing does not serve my purpose as much as simply writing when I have time. It is like a focused diary for me...a way for me to simply keep writing, but in a much less formal way than I do for my clients.

If I were going to optimize this thing, I would:
  • Link specific words and ideas to other sites
  • Strategically blend in my keywords
  • Become more verbally active in related blogs (to pull in readers)
  • Quote other bloggers
  • RSS feed it to the world
  • Put social media links in it
  • Target my subject matter
  • Monitor traffic patterns
  • Use my titles as linkbait

I am sure I'd do more too, but you get the point.

I had someone ask me directly this past week why I am not optimizing this, so I thought I'd explain.

I actually started this blog because I wanted to sort through some ideas I had for redoing my own site, http://www.Articulayers.com It has served this purpose for me already--I know I want to do 2 new sections of content on my site when I rebuild: one on SEO tips, and one on topics of interest for college students working on an English degree. I have been testing some ways to do this both on this blog, as well as on a couple websites I have out there, hidden from the world. It is slow going, because my workload has been very demanding this year...and my own site is perhaps not quite what I want it to be anymore, but it is still fine--for now.

Rest assured, when I do move this blog, it will be optimized.

And my site will be better because of it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thinking of designing your own website?

Try www.esolz.net , a professional company which I came across while developing my website. Although I was skeptical about outsourcing my project to an offshore company, my mind was put at rest upon reviewing their proposal. It was clear that www.esolz.net is a team made up of solid web designers who provide quality, value, and support. From day one they consulted with me and involved me in every aspect of the site development.
They completed the project within the agreed 30 days and have exercised extreme diligence in maintaining the website since then.
Check out my website at www.ventureden.com

Ventureden is a global meeting place where entrepreneurs connect with angel investors and venture capitalists in order to secure startup or expansion funding for their business venture.
Entrepreneurs post their business idea or invention and instantly gain worldwide exposure.

Angel investors and venture capitalists leisurely explore investment opportunities, all from the comforts of office or home.

No matter if you?re an entrepreneur or investor, thanks to www.esolz.net our system is simple to use. Make www.esolz.net your outsourcing partner, you won?t regret it.

Regards,
Dan
www.ventureden.com
www.esolz.net

Name: Daniel Cimera
Address: 2116 Lynchmere ave.
Mississauga
Ontario
Canada
L5B 1W8

Phone: 416-741-6204

Email: salesinfo@ventureden.com

Martypants said...

Wow Dan--
Spamming my blog sure is nice of you. I'll leave it, because if you actually get work from it, more power to you. I would hope people have more sense than to ever visit your site, and if they don't, I'll try to help them learn a little more to make a better decision.

But don't kid yourself to think I'll let you do it again...and you made me realize I can't allow this for anyone else either.

So for anyone else who should see this: this ridiculous comment/advertisement is something that should always send you scurrying in exactly the opposite direction. If these Internet "professionals" have to resort to these tactics to promote, guess what'll happen to your stuff?
There are better ways to succeed "Dan"--or is it Sanjay? The world will never know.
Or care.