Monday, October 20, 2008

Ongoing Education

The thing about SEO work that appeals to me (one thing, anyway) is that it changes all the time. This means that you must be ready to study forever if this is a career choice you wish to pursue and actually do anything with your skills for others.

As an example, this week I have already completed an hourlong Webinar on podcasting, and have another tomorrow on the changing face of SEO work. I register for these things all the time. I pay attention to what the experts are saying, and make sure I am doing all I can in the interests of myself, and my clients.

I do have to say, most of the time, I already know most of what they are preaching. I have been doing this for over 6 years, so I had better be on top of it. But I do get something out of every bit of time spent...sometimes, it is one simple hint that can really open up some good possibilities. The point is, I never know what they are going to cover unless I am there, ready to listen (not judge them or compete).

In that respect, attending a conference or 2 per year is also a great idea when you can do so. I have only been to one so far this year, but am trying hard to get my employer to send me to PubCon in Vegas in November. Why? Because these are the industry pros that I pay attention to, this is the elite group of folks I would like to be on par with, if not directly associated with someday. I don't tend to crawl from the cave too often, so I don't make a public spectacle of myself either when I do attend something. I am the quiet guy in the back row.

But attending the right conference can be a great experience - it really energizes you to hear from people you respect. I have met some of my SEO heroes, not that they'll ever remember me. Again, back row lurking has its drawbacks.

But the point is, I am not afraid or vain enough to ignore the potential of talking with a bunch of people who do what I do. I don't see it as competition at all...I have yet to meet someone that I compete with in my niches. I am not an affiliate marketer, and I don't usually go after things that don't support small businesses. So strategy is strategy - and we can share lots without stepping on each other's toes.

In the case that I do already know everything they are discussing, bully for me. It just makes it a little easier for me to know that I do know what I am doing, that I do add serious value to my clients' efforts. It gives me some strength to argue my intentions.

After all, if I know everything they are talking about, I am consistently doing everything I can for my clients, no? Not a bad place to be at all...and again, I don't know this until I hear what they have to say.

So get out there, and register for whatever you can. Learn, learn learn. SEO work will never get any less complicated...so be willing and able to become a part of it. It's a simple reward of this profession to become a part of a community willing to share the tricks of the trade.

No comments: