Sunday, October 19, 2008

Branching Out

As a freelance seo writer, I have a unique opportunity to help people. Lots of times, it is small business owners, who I help by offering affordable rates and honest service. But this weekend, I started a new thing, and thought I'd write just a quick note about it. Bear with me.

I know a lot of blues musicians here in Atlanta, and they are some really great people. However, though they are very talented, most cannot do much with their websites. It's a shame, because better sites would mean more people find them.

So I bought a bunch of webspace, and a couple domains, and I am going to help them. I am creating some sites to showcase a lot of their work, and will include calendars for where they are playing, and pix, videos and whatever else they want. I am helping them for nothing - simply because I believe in what they do.

So while most of the time, being a freelance seo writer means getting paid, in this case, it means using what I know to give back. It is like speaking to college students, or mentoring new writers. I just believe that these are important things to do, and am glad I have the chops to do something of value. You don't always have to get paid to get paid, if that makes sense.

So don't think that doing one thing for a living means that every time you do it, you always have to charge for it. Branch out a little. Do what feels good, just because. Balance your zen.

In the end, I know it will make me a better writer. If not, it will at least make me a better person - so how can I lose? When i get the sites up and running, I will post about here, so you can see why I care. Cheers!

No comments: