Saturday, May 10, 2008

Studying the Competition

A big part of successful SEO work is studying the things that are working for your competitors. Once you have entered your niche and start to go head-to-head with other companies vying for the same prize, you can study and learn from what they are doing to help improve your own efforts.

Viewing the Number of Pages Indexed
One important measure of a site is the number of relevant pages indexed by the engines. It all starts here, really. Do a "site:---" command in the engines and compare the number of pages in your site to that of your competition. While page volume in and of itself is not the most important element of SEO, it is an important measure to monitor and improve. You should always be adding relevant content to your site--this is a big part of organic SEO. But if you are not getting your pages indexed properly, they might as well not exist...so if you see a competitor has hundreds or thousands more pages than you, look at how they are accomplishing it, and see if there might not be a good strategy in there for you to also employ.

Viewing the Back-Links
One of the most crucial elements of SEO is links into your site, or back-links. You should already know that you can do this by using a "link:--" command in some of the engines. Yahoo has the most extensive list to review, but Google works as well for this command. I tend to use Google first, and then run a check in Yahoo to see what Google is not counting.

But just as you can do this for your own sites, you can also run this check on your competitors. See where they are receiving some of their back-links, and you might be able to identify sites where you too can get a few links back to your sites.

Viewing the Source Code
If a competitor is doing better than you, it sometimes helps to see what they are doing in the code. You can do this by clicking on their page, and using a "view/source" command in your Internet browser. The source code will open in a new window, usually in a text format.

Look at the meta tags, the page titles, and the keywords used within the code that is not immediately visible (such as image alt attributes). Are they saturating the keywords better than you? Are they using headings and bullets that you aren't? The source code is closer to what the spiders see, so there may be things revealed that you can adopt and use in your own building strategies.

Keep an Open Mind
If you think you are doing everything right and you are still not achieving your goals, be open to what the competition is doing. Be ready to admit that they could be doing things better, and be willing to try new ideas. Some things, like age of the domain, are hard to control. But other things, like page volume and back-links, are certainly within the power of any SEO writer.

I always try to stay aware of what my competitors are doing. Some of them have more money than I do, and some have less concern about staying "white hat" and 100% above board to achieve their goals. This means I will sometimes lose a battle, but I typically can hang tough and win the war.

I have a fair amount of tried-and-true tricks up my sleeve to make things click the way I need them to--I spend at least 50-60 hours a week, every week, studying how the algorithms are shifting and behaving. I have sites that I use purely for testing theories...and I am constantly balancing risk against possible (or probable) gains. I read experts blogs, and if I don't use all the techniques, I certainly can get some good info out of them. In my experience, by the time the blogs are chattering about something, the technique is already overexposed and probably short-lived.That's fine by me--it still helps me to see what other people are looking at, and how these people might be applying these techniques to sites I am going up against, head-to-head.

I like competition. I like being challenged to beat someone at what we do. By no means do I always win--but I can certainly give most sites the organic SEO boost needed to improve traffic.

No comments: