Sunday, April 6, 2008

Another Simple SEO Copywriting Tip

About the Death of Keyword Density
Since the last SEO tip was so fun, I thought we'd try another. This one is more directly about SEO copywriting, and the changes that are happening in searching and in the search engines.

See, up until a couple years ago, keywords were the main (almost the only) thing to understand in SEO writing. Keyword density and meta tags were simple things that even horribly untalented people could manipulate pretty easily and see some great results. Stuff a bunch of keywords into a page, and bingo, you could start to rank for them. But, in most cases those days are all but gone, and as an SEO writer it makes me very happy. Why? Because it is going to be tougher and tougher to rank for crap...and this means job security for you-know-who.

So is Keyword Density Gone Completely?
Short answer: no. But as with everything in search, it is only one element, so manipulating it and it alone won't work for you anymore...at least not like it used to. It is now measured and balanced with other all other aspects of organic search, and is much less important than most things, things like backlinks or good page titles. Like everything about organic development, the value of keyword density varies by search engine--some of the "short bus" search engines still value density pretty highly, but I don't typically care too much about them as they simply don't drive the traffic I need to call something a success. Call me a search snob, but the numbers don't lie.

Personally, I used to measure my keyword density as part of creating every page. I had targeted levels to reach and if my finished page did not meet the targeted keyword density, I figured out a way to include more instances. I was pretty smooth at it so it wasn't always obvious...but it still always felt kind of slimy to do things like that. But that was then, my friends--and times are better now. I have not had to sweat density since about mid-2004, and the last time I did, it was only because the client very specifically wanted me to do so. I tried to explain it might not really be the best plan, but as the freelancer for a major client, I pretty quickly shut up, and did what I was told. They were happy, I got paid, and their pages did fine. But this was not only because of the density levels I met on every page--there were many aspects to this site that made it a big one.

But in the past 2 years, more than once I have also made pages rank for a targeted keyphrase without having a single instance of the keyphrase appearing in the body copy. Let me repeat that: NOT A SINGLE OCCURENCE of the keyphrase in the body copy, and I still got a #1 ranking in Google for my keyphrases (and held them easily for over a year, BTW). How? By refining the keyphrase, manipulating the page title, metadata and backlinks properly, and having generally solid content on a trusted domain. I did it all very intentionally, and it was really quite an eye-opener for me. I saw it as a huge leap forward, because it reduced the amount of time I would have to spend cramming in a few more instances of the keyphrase to reach some arbitrary number that seemed to make the algorithm click my way.

Make It Good, and Make It Stick
Now don't think that this means you can ignore keywords--nothing could be farther from the truth. But in my experience, from the user's side of search, keywords are slowly being replaced by much more specific keyphrases. Instead of typing in 1-2 keywords and sifting through the results, people are more comfortable typing in longer strings to get what they want. I saw some stats on this recently, which I will try to dig up to share, but it basically stated that the average search was edging closer to 4-5 words, where it was still 1-2 only a couple years ago.

So the engines are going to look for these longer tail searches in the content, which makes density manipulation pretty difficult. They are also starting to connect contextual content more and more often--which is partly why I was able to rank for a keyphrase without actually using it. I was talking about the same subject matter but used synonyms and the like and still had great success.

The key is to make a page of content good, solid writing first. Actually, just stop there. Make it good, and it is much easier to make it stick.

Spend Your SEO Writing Time Wisely
The same amount of time I used to spend manipulating density is now applied to better understanding search nuance. The end result is better pages--both for me as the writer, and for the users. The users reward me with more links to my pages, more time spent reading them, and more completed calls-to-action.

So if you are intent on becoming a better SEO copywriter, you should know it is more about being a good writer than being a keyword magician (or worse, a spamming stuffer). Spend more time doing keyword research, understanding your audience's needs and search habits, and creating good content. If you have a good page, people will spend more time with it. They will be more inclined to link to it, or take a specific action. Keyword density in itself is pretty darn easy to manipulate...good writing is more of an art. Bully for us!

No comments: