Sunday, May 3, 2009

Sticking to Your Guns

One thing I sometimes struggle with as a freelancer, is doing too much for what I am paid.

This is not usually the case with bigger companies, but it almost always is a concern when dealing with small business owners. Why? Because larger companies have budgets, they have multiple projects running simultaneously, and they are used to paying vendors what it takes. They make take longer to pay, but they don't flinch or suffer sticker-shock.

Small business owners more typically are pretty tight with the money, are not used to paying vendors for "intangible" work (is there something more magical or esoteric to explain than SEO copywriting?), and need to stretch every project as far as it can go.

My problem is that I am at a point where I don't usually have to do work for a business or business owner that I don't like. While it's great that I truly like and care about my clients, it also means I am more than willing to do whatever is needed - which can mean unpaid hours, which ultimately makes me pretty mad at myself. I don't blame the clients most of the time - it is my fault for not properly setting the expectations and limits.

How to Fight the Urge to Give it Away
Of course, you never sit down and say "How can I give away some of my skills today?" and yet, it happens. However, by taking a few precautionary steps as a project begins, you can reduce the likelihood of it getting out of hand. The following 2 points are probably the easiest way for you to manage this situation.
  1. Clearly define a starting point and an end point - avoid open-endings, like "When you are solid" or something equally as murky and undefined. Be firm - we start on this date, check-in on this date, and our targeted end date is this. Come up with a contingency if the schedule does exceed initial expectations - but do so BEFORE you get there. In cases where a longer relationship is expected, it is a good idea to set a check-in point that allows you to assess and review everything with the client, or perhaps structure the project in different phases (giving each phase a specific timeline).
  2. Clearly define all deliverables - other than time, "stuff" can really get quickly out-of-hand if you are not careful. For example, you might agree to develop a logo, but once the logo is done you might be asked to create document templates, stationary, etc. None of it is a big deal, but all of these little things take time and can add up to some frustration. Many times, I clearly outline all of the deliverables and then set an hourly rate for any additional work...when I do this at the outset of a project, when a request comes for something not identified I can simply mention "Sure I'll do it - but since that is outside our original agreement, I will have to bill you separately for it." Most of the time, they are fine with that, and it makes this situation much better for you as the contractor.

In the end, I believe in giving more than you ask for. This is why clients like me, but my wife can get a little touchy at the end of the month as we pay our bills.

To keep the peace, I have learned (the hard way) to make some difficult decisions, and make sure I am getting paid for the time I am spending on clients...for as an SEO copywriter, if I am not getting paid for my efforts and expertise, my wife has every right to be angry that I am giving away my time instead of doing more housework.

And frankly, I hate housework.

No comments: